Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

28 August 2023

You are Cleared for Landing (part 1 - Halt! - a Review)

 A quick last terrain post before the end of Dave Stone's Summer of Scenery challenge and a bit of a cheating affair as it's not strictly "Finished", but I'll throw it in there regardless as any hobby progress on my end is better than none at all.

I recently started work on yet another project that brewed up in my addled head all of a sudden and I went on a deep dive into the internets to get the pieces to make it happen. (One day I will finish a project... promise.) Currently, I only have one terrain setup for my 28mm WW2 games and as my regular reader will know, that's my Winter table. I now have (I think) enough terrain completed to set up a nice looking, modular and relatively full setup for my games of Bolt Action (and Chain of Command whenever Luke and I eventually try to learning that rules set). But that's it, just Winter theme and I really wanted another option to play on, something more suited to a Spring or Summer theme, but something you don't see too often - a German airfield!

Airfield Barracks. Nice little buildings and I have two more to construct along with an air-traffic control building, radar installations and another small building from their airfield set.

So enter Father and Son Gaming, an affordable MDF terrain store that is stateside (Wisconsin I think?), meaning postage rates aren't atrocious (Free S&H for orders over $75). I'd heard of these guys from the SNAFU Bolt Action Wargaming podcast and they seemed pleased with what they'd gotten so I took the plunge and ordered a number of kits. My order arrived swiftly considering Father and Son say they cut each order as they receive them, and in nicely shrink-wrapped parcels within the postage box. Communication from the vendor was great as well, with quick responses to my emailed queries.

In glorious black and white, a photo of a WW2 German sentry hut. Those stripes are actually red, black & white and applying that pattern to the side of my own sentry hut is going to be a right pig I bet.

So far I've put together four of their kits using white glue which has been just fine to stick them together. Their quality has been decent with sharp simple detailing and the finished models seem robust enough for regular gaming and also for transport to and from gaming venues. Instructions are provided through their website via links showing step-by-step construction processes for the more complex kits or short videos via their Youtube channel. Construction went smoothly for the most part on the kits I've put together so far with only a little trimming down to make pieces fit better here and there (As I've found with other mdf kit makers), but otherwise I found little trouble making these models which is great for this medium-skilled hobbyist.

This Crossing Barrier kit was simple to put together and came with three signs with "Stop" in German (As above), Russian or English - pretty cool. Here the barrier has it's base coat on and attending Sentry Hut in the rear, primed and ready for crazy zigzag pattern. The smoking German Guard fig is a kind donation from best gaming pal, Luke, who applied the basic colours of a Luftwaffe trooper for the project - I'll be basing and detailing him up a little more as time allows.
(Please ignore the intrusion of Ninja Turtles, Conan O'Brian and Charmander - there's definitely too much crap on my hobby workspace.)

I have always liked mdf terrain models, having constructed multiple from different manufacturers during my years as a gamer (4Ground, Sarissa Precision, etc). Father and Son Gaming kits so far seem more hardy than others that I've encountered, but more simple in design and lacking in detail of pricier alternatives. This is fine by me as these kits look good regardless of their lack of complexity and will be fine for tabletop wargaming whilst still looking great on the table. I still have to apply paint to the ones I've put together and will post pics once done. 

Hope all enjoyed this little review/preview post of my new terrain project for my games. I also have more of their range to construct and I'll post my experiences with those kits here at a later date along with my other planned terrain features for my Airfield project.


- Dai



16 comments:

  1. These three pieces are perfect for small actions. With the barracks and checkpoint, I can conjure up a number of different interesting scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - this stuff will work at best for platoon or small company level games, which is fine for me and my 28mm collections.

      As well as the mentioned Bolt Action, I also want to source a sneak about, Commandos vs Sentries type rules set too.

      Delete
  2. They look good Dai - we have a couple of local mdf scenery producers here in NZ too - I guess if you have the gear, it's not too hard to add model buildings to your inventory - although like your examples, our local ones seem a bit crude compared with some of the top-level offerings - however, if they are priced to reflect that, fair enough. Of course, being based in Wisconsin or wherever won't help me with the postage, so I doubt I will be buying any of their products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes for gaming, simple design is just fine I think. Especially for these type price points.
      And yes, I am sure shipping to NZ would be cost prohibitive!

      Delete
  3. Yet another unknown manufacturer of terrain (well unknown to me that is). Shame the postage costs to France will put them out of contention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found them recently, but yes, a VERY small producer. I'm impressed by their offerings thus far though.
      At least there are UK and European based mdf kit producers close by that you can take advantage of.

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking pieces Dai, and very atmospheric, I look forward to seeing this project develop, over time, and if it's as good as your winter board, it will look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say so Dave - I hope I don't disappoint with my planned finished result!

      Delete
  5. Just pencil the chevron outlines on the sides of the guard shack before you start painting so you're not entirely free-handing it. You know it'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly what I was thinking - thanks!

      Delete
  6. Some good stuff. Father and Son Gaming is a great name for a company. I also like using the MDF terrain. If anything, MDF kits are getting even better these days. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name too. Means I am supporting what sounds like a small family business, which I am all for.

      Delete
  7. Good looking decent mdf buildings, I'm all for more basic kits as I tend to customise them anyway, picked up a 1/48 hurricane, planning a Soviet airfield now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain!
      Yay! Excited to see your own results on this!

      Delete
  8. Great article, Dai, and I enjoyed looking at some of F&S Gaming's YouTube videos - Do you own the V1 Rocket Site perchance..? I always enjoy these sort of shout outs to the 'lesser known' companies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! I do not own the V1 kit (yet) but it does look pretty darn cool too.

      Delete