Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

17 August 2023

選択してください

( For those not versed in reading Japanese Kanji, like me, the title translates as "Please make your selection" - thank you Google Translate.)

These are another entry for Dave Stone's Summer of Scenery Challenge. Four scifi/near future vending machines from the now discontinued Antenocitis Workshop cyberpunk-esque range. Simple resin sculpts, they depict snack and soda vending machines of a style commonly found in Japan. 

Comrade Yeltsin and a creepy.... "thing" for scale. Looks like these sculpts are more in line with 32mm or 1/48 sized figs than 28mm?

Online searches for examples of vending machines like these in existence on the streets of Tokyo and other large Japanese cities show that they typically are white in colour so I went with the clinical look from real life rather than branch out and get all silly and neon about it. 

So many choices!

Old lady about to break her diet

The printed details are just cut from thin card sheets provided with the set. They were a pain to cut to size properly, but I'm glad I put in the effort as they look great glued on. 

Sodas and snacks and I think even a row of cigarettes?

Side adds are repeated on the other side. Fun anime-esque stuff.

The rear sides also have adds - futuristic cars, fights and cyber arms. 

Whilst I haven't played any scifi games in a long while, these will find use eventually (Maybe once the weather returns back to "Not Depths-of-Hell-like"?) in a planned solo scifi scrap I have brewing in my head.

This creature must choose wisely, tho I wonder how it'll open a can or bottle of soda with that point spike hand?

Still more on the hobby desk to add to my tally for this Summer of Scenery, so hopefully I'll have at least another two posts to put up before the end of the month. 

Thanks for stopping by and for commenting, if indeed you do!

- Dai

20 comments:

  1. Antenoctis workshop was always a treasure trove of lovely bits and some nice, clean, functional looking bits after all the skullz of 40K. Lovely vending machines Dai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn’t agree more, shame they are gone now. Thank you sir.

      Delete
  2. Any chance of some lilt from that one on the right only I’m fresh out of yen at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilt!? I haven’t drunk that in over twenty years…

      Delete
  3. This kind of scenery is enormously underrated, I love how much these machines (or scenery of the like) add to a board. Looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate, like with your own scenic efforts, it’s is indeed this type stuff that adds more character to a game

      Delete
  4. Those look great. The graphics really do bring it all together even if you had to fiddle them in. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stew! Fiddle, but worth the effort in the end

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on all 4 Dai, the attention with the cutouts really paid off, and really adds to the atmosphere of each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re not wrong Dave. Now to figure out how and when to actually use them!

      Delete
  6. Considering I thought three of these pics were the real thing until I saw a pic with a couple of models alongside them, I'd say you've done some top work there, Dai. LOL!!! Excellent stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm.....right.....they look great Dai, expect to see them in a game shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortly? I’ll try for a game before years end? Lol

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking vending machines, excellent work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite nice, and useful as some color in game. Also sent me down a bit of a wikihole looking up Lilt.... so thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Thanks David. And Lilt was a staple in my childhood - so good. Mixes well with rum too for what it's worth.

      Delete
  10. Heyyy. These are pretty great SF/cyberpunk street terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like that they can be used from near future through to full on scifi games. :)

      Delete