Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

01 November 2021

Warhammer Chapel

 Being off work for these past weeks has finally allowed me to set up the temporary hobby station and get some painting going.

With my wish to try to get a solo game of Burrows and Badgers played sometime soon, I knew my fantasy terrain needed a few additions to help have some choices for different scenarios. (And also for other rules sets games in the future.)

That meant that this little building moved to the front of the queue. It’s a now out of print Games Workshop fantasy Chapel that I’ve had sat primed since I first received it maybe 8 or so years ago. About time it got some colour really!

Decided turquoise tiles and off-white walls were my primary scheme. The wife suggested darker masonry to complete the scheme and I feel she was right!

The kit had so many typical GW overthetop skulls EVERYWHERE! So I remember pulling out the green stuff to fill in all sorts of alcoves, etc to tone that silliness down.

Here’s cleric Horace pointing out that this chapel is heresy as it’s dedicated to the wrong god, which of course is not his god. 

Dunno where the leafy vine came from but it makes for a nice spot colour.

Still a few skulls about the building including the one on the door painted red, but a few are acceptable.  

Currently working on a Burrows and Badgers mini to add to my Rogues team and then on to something else, maybe even more Burrows and Badgers? 


17 comments:

  1. Good looking reduced skull chapel,nice colour range!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Thought the colours chosen would contrast well

      Delete
  2. Neat chapel! I agree with Iain. I like the paintwork too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jon. It’s a bit messy to be honest, but I rarely feel there’s a need to put as much effort into a terrain piece as I do an individual figure. Lazy hobbymanship? Probably lol

      Delete
  3. Looks great, and I love the colour of the roof tiles. When I saw the top pic I thought you'd made this from one of the old Warhammer Fantasy Buildings plans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually built one of their scratch built card buildings from WD way back in the day. The thing didn’t survive tho and looked utter cack! Lol thanks Matt

      Delete
    2. I've seen PDFs of those card buildings floating around online and they don't look good. The plans that involve building the structure from foamboard and balsa wood, on the other hand, are a great resource and I've managed to find most of them. Building them, however, is another matter :-)

      Delete
  4. Great work on the cottage Dai, shame GW only do their kits for a limited time on the scenery, but you've certainly given yours a sense of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Agreed with you on GW’s habit of phasing out perfectly good kits far too quickly and seemingly callously.

      Delete
  5. Quite nice, and should prove useful on the battlefield as well. Also, I did notice the skull reduction! Certainly a positive improvement, particularly for non-Warhammer use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou David!

      I’m hoping it will spruce up my game tables for years to come.

      Thanks for noticing the skull reduction.

      Delete
  6. I think close to a decade is enough time for the resin to acclimate to its new surroundings.
    Nice job. It’ll look great in the table with trees and such around it. Glad you covered most of the skulls. GW goes insane with skulls. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe!

      I think with some other terrain features it’ll fit just fine.

      GW seems to thrive on skull-spam in its designs. The joys of their “grim dark” designs.

      Delete
  7. Lovely job with the painting Dai and a good choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, really appreciate you checking them out!

      Delete