Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

09 August 2021

Green Meanie

Sunday saw the end of my 7-day break from work. Most of that time was taken up dog sitting for 5 raucous and annoying dogs, so not at all restful. But! As my previous 3 or so posts have shown, I've had a bit of time to work on my unpainted mountain, so not all bad, eh?

So to the subject of this post's title, after seeing Dave's own painted Space Ork on his Blog, I was suddenly inspired to (finally, I've only had this mini for almost 20 years or something) get this big bugger off my unpainted mountain as a palette cleanser type effort. He's an older metal Games Workshop Space Ork Nob (A larger, leader variant of the violent alien species). I'd originally picked him up to join as a mercenary-type character for one of my Rogue Trader teams for an old INQ28 project. Now, strictly speaking, the typical merc within the Ork faction are of the honourless Blood Axes Clan, but this fellow didn't fit the "Blood Axes" aesthetic, nor (My personal favs) from the Evil Sunz, so I painted him up to be from the Goff Clan. So black with black and white chequers. He had a lot of detail, so it took a LONG time to get him done, but looking at the finished result, I'm pretty happy how he turned out. No idea when or if he'll ever see time on the game table, but I'm glad he's finished.


Ridiculously huge weapons make for a comical figure. I decided that the little pet (A Squigg) on his banner pole should be a garish colour to contrast well with the otherwise dull rusty metals and dark skin and black clothing. The sculpt does have eyes under that helmet, but they were so damned small I felt that if you were peering that close to look at them then you can paint the flippin things in.

                                                 


Curious place for piercings.

Not the back banner he was supplied with (No idea where that went.), luckily had a selection of plastic options as a replacement and this one was the most fun I think.


I cheated a bit with the chequers, using a very fine Micron pen to draw the lines, then filled with paint. End result after a quick gunmetal sponge are some "good enough" pauldrons!


Those big arms should have been pinned, but I had to paint him in pieces, so I hope the Gorilla Glue holds!

Lastly, I also got this simple resin effort off the table - named a "Water Container" and from the now OOP Warlord Games "Project Z" range. I've seen these things in real life on the farms where my in laws live, but they are used for chemicals and not water, but whatever. I based it's colour scheme off one of those though, with a little murky looking wash in the recesses as though it's been left out and alone for a while. It'll feature as a small scatter terrain piece for my Zombie Outbreak project game.



Not sure what'll be next as I feel a small break from the paint desk is required. (My back says "THANK YOU!".)

Hope all are continuing to stay safe out there,

- Dai

21 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the ork, he's got bags of character! I have to admit to loving the older Citadel sculpts' cartoony aspect. I have a bunch of Oldhammer fantasy Chaos minis and they're cool figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mat!
      I like the cartoony aspect too, especially where the original Rogue Trader orbs were concerned. Looking forward too seeing this chaos figs, I have a number of those myself that are needing paint… In the future tho

      Delete
    2. You can see the ones I've done so far here:

      https://pmpainting.blogspot.com/search/label/slaanesh

      Still got quite a few to go, including an original Keeper of Secrets.

      Delete
    3. O nice! Some really cool oldies there mate. I have a bunch of old Warhammer figs too to get to as well. Might have to fish out a few for a future paint project and post.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Michal! I think he’d intimidate just about anyone on the battlefield so “bad ass” is definitely a good description!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work on the Ork Dai, turned out really well. the water storage piece has a great weathered effect to it, so more excellent terrain from yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, your fault I got side tracked and put paint on him.
      The more terrain the better for skirmish games, right?

      Delete
  4. Oh, he is a good one! Your fantasy work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome looking Ork and the water tank is great,they work well as weights, you put them somewhere you need to weigh down(which is relatively easy as they're plastic) and then fill them with water and they're really heavy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! Good to know about the water tank!

      Delete
  6. Looks great Dai. The checks are brill and make him suitably goffy looking. The water container is a nice bit of scatter terrain or an objective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate that Simon, was hoping he looked the part.

      Objective eh? Yeah, that would work in a zombie setting...

      Delete
  7. Great looking ork! He does make an excellent Goff.

    I feel like I have the same figure squirreled away somewhere, but it might be the similar fellow with the attack squig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate.
      Would love to see your painted version!

      Delete
    2. Oh... I haven't painted it. So somewhere in a box languishes this poor fellow still in a blister pack.

      I did paint a conversion of the plastic Nob that comes in the Ork infantry box.

      Delete
    3. O Nono, you mistake my meaning , I was insisting that you do! Lol

      Delete
  8. Great job. His bulging muscles and huge gun remind me of someone….me! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sir, are quite incorrigible! LOL

      Cheers Stew :)

      Delete
  9. Hummm, in the UK, IBCs are usually for transporting water. Generally speaking things we might describe as 'chemicals' are transported in the packaging they are supplied in, and not decanted off into something else.

    It's a nation on a different scale, with different rules on the transport and storage of chemicals.

    That's not to say that you wouldn't find one with (for example) sheep dip in it at the point of use, but it would almost certainly have been mixed (the 'chemical' added to the IBC) on site, at the point of use.

    Intermediate Bulk Container, in case you were wondering.

    The things I know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So happy to have someone in the know piping in on this! Thanks very much sir.

      Delete