Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

19 November 2015

I'm a Maserati in a world of Kias

Frostgrave starting warbands are typically made up of a Wizard who represents “You”, his Apprentice who offers more opportunity to throw spells around each turn and a mixed assortment of mercenaries that you buy with a gold coin allotment.


To battle my son’s Ratmen Necromancer warband, I decided to go with the very opposite wizard type, a Thaumaturge who specializes in healing majicks and the like. For my wizard mini, I went with my already painted-up (For my rpg campaign) Druid. As his apprentice, I then decided to use my only other druid mini shown below. He’s a metal Privateer Press sculpt, Potent Bradigus. My son had the idea of painting him up with a completely different skin colour to his master, I also added some black dots as a type of tattoo after seeing an old black’n’white picture of a north African tribesman with similar markings. Not sure I carried it off right though. With this fellow done, I now have a fully painted warband to play with!

I like this sculpt - all sorts of quiet intimidation about it. The "axe" parts to his staff are painted up as stone rather than steel. Seemed more druidish to me.

Green cloak like all good druids should sport. Tried to give the shoulder pads a wood look, again to seem more "natural" than if he had metal.

Wizard and Apprentice. I think they'll do just fine against those evil rats... should.
 My son also got a couple more of his own Skaven ratmen painted up - a thug and a man-at-arms. He only has to paint a Templar and a Ranger and he'll also be ready for play. Now I just have to get all my terrain painted too.... Ugh.

1980's Jes Goodwin Skaven Slave and a more recent plastic Skaven Clanrat with a weapon switch. No idea why he needed one though.

A long time ago in a country far, far away a much younger self felt a need to cut the tip from the Skaven slave model. I have no recollection as to why. My son though, was delighted to find this out and gleefully painted blood effects accordingly.
 After finishing up my Apprentice, I had more time last night so slapped some paint on this late 90's GW Daemonette. Just a cheeky grey primer, white drybrush and a load of successive washes to get a fair pastel effect. My son and wife think she looks creepy for some reason. I'll be using her as a "Medium Demon" for Frostgrave.

Unlike the original 80's sculpts, these girls were far more brutish in design to get them away from the very sexualised originals. Whilst I do like this version very much, the lithe originals and current versions fit the descriptions for these Slaaneshi daemons far better.

This deadly young lady seems not to be lacking in rump.
And last up, a real quick paintjob on a Reaper Bones animal companion sculpt. It is meant to be a hawk or some such, but I wanted it to represent a raven or crow instead so went with black. It'll do for both my rpg campaign and Frostgrave's new Lich King supplement that I bought for my Kindle to expand my mission selections and also check out the cool sounding campaign.

His head seems to blend in with his body in this photo. Not that there's much to see. 

"Nevermore" quoth another raven. Not this one, he prefers Dylan Thomas to Ed Poe.

16 comments:

  1. Great idea. I've seen so many great looking cobbled together (in a good way) warbands for Frostgrave. They look good dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate the kind words. Have to say, it's been fun just grabbing random appropriate minis and paint without having to worry about uniforms or matching schemes.

      Delete
  2. Really like the Druids, and it's nice to see you sharing the hobby (and blog) with the son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's almost 11 so it's a good time for it and I think Frostgrave is simple enough to keep his attention long enough to be able to play out most of a game at least. :)

      Cheers Rich.

      Delete
  3. Great choice of model and really well painted, as you say it's a great pose. I need to jump aboard this frostgrave lark, any excuse to collect a new warband..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should mate - it's right up your alley I think. Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic painting on the Druid, and I wholly approve of the use of stone and wood to replace the normal axe and armour; a great idea I may borrow in the near future. Lovely work on your 'medium Daemon' too. Wonderful posting with plenty of eye candy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow/steal/pilfer away good sir.

      Glad you liked it all!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work, man! Definitely dig the stone and wood on the druid, very effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. Was worried the effect didn't carry off that well.

      Delete
  6. Wahey! Glad to see you fully committed! Also enjoying the whole father / son gaming experience you are going to have! Sweet paint jobs on the wizard and apprentice, mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - am really liking the whole Frostrgrave setting and rules.

      Thanks on all accounts Tony!

      Delete
  7. Completely missed this Dai! Great job on the wizard, the stone and wood look superb! I really like that Slaneesh daemonette too. Good to hear your son likes painting blood and gore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Bob.
      My son draws and paints little else.... ~_~
      Thanks for the kind words mate.

      Delete
  8. My that staff is impressive. Painting the axe blades as stone was a good idea. But wooden shoulder pads? How 1980s! ;)
    Great work on these fellows and grand that you and your son enjoy the hobby together.
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. That raven is BRILLIANT! From Llareggub, perchance?

    ReplyDelete