Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

19 March 2020

Jacques Le Rouge, Friar Fullmouth & Clarissa Quick - Rogues and Royalists (+ Bonus Statue update)

Seems in my effort to keep this current boost of hobby energy on a high, I've been painting up some more stuff, flitting between projects in an effort to keep me enthused. Hope this carries on for a goodly while!

With the delivery of the recent and excellent Burrows and Badgers Kickstarter, my collection of Anthropomorphic Critters has grown exponentially. So I decided I needed to get a lick of paint on the ones I'd already owned, based and primed! Here we have three characters for my Rogues and Royalists project, two more members for my Rogues warband, The Red Toothe - Jacques le Rouge and Clarissa Quick, and the first painted member of their Royalist opponents in my setting, Friar Fullmouth.

Jacques le Rouge, a black fox with a funny accent, both aspects rather uncommon to Northymbria. Easily pushed around by Ma' Tuppence, this untrustworthy fox always seems to have double meanings to everything he says.
Whilst searching the internet for interesting pictures of British foxes, I found images of black coloured foxes! Perfect for a swarthy backstabber like Jacques!


Clarissa Quick was an orphaned Dormouse whose family suffered under the cruel reign of the local lord. A suspicious act of arson claimed the lives of Clarissa's parents and siblings as her meagre home was turned to ashy rubble, the land thereafter somehow claimed by the local Lord as his own - a "fine" location for his new prized Stag Beetle farm.

Ma' Tuppence claimed the orphaned dormouse from the gutter and shared dreams of vengeance against the Lord, for which Clarissa was all too swift to hope would come true.
Friar Fullmouth has been sent to help maintain the religious spirits of the Royalist warband. His healing magic also a boon as they seek to hunt down and arrest the Red Toothe.
I need to give the Royalists warband a proper name.... They have a background, but I'll get into that when I begin painting the rest of their members.

 With these three done, I have only one member of the Red Toothe rogues warband left to paint, Hickory the Pug thug. Still working out a suitable colour scheme for him, but he should feature in my next post. Once he's done, I'll get a nice group pic of these nasty baddies for ya.

Also I got the energy to finish off this feller featured in my last post. Even in the grim dark war torn future, birds still manage to crap uncaringly upon statues.

Might add a bit more of a wash to the stone base as looking at this pic, it looks far more blah than I'd realised, but otherwise this is ready for the battlefield.

Must be anti-Imperium birds to crap so on a such hero.
The Court (Where I work) is still keeping us at work during this virus outbreak, so who knows what's going to happen. Fingers crossed that changes though as I deal with the public daily and I'd rather not experience or bring home this nasty virus. Hope you all and your families are safe and sound in these uncertain times.

19 comments:

  1. Excellent work! The bird poop is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Just seemed logical after researching pics of verdigris on real statues, they almost all had some sort of birdly decoration!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks Michal! Glad you like. :)

      Delete
  3. Great to see some "Burrows & Badgers", Dai, and your statue looks awesome. Excellent posting (as always) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More on its way Simon, really appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Ski, appreciate you stopping on by

      Delete
  5. Great stuff. Are these the usual 28mm figure size? I.e. they are scaled to each other, not to humans?

    And here I thought the courts had closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allo mate, yep 28mm and indeed scaled to each other. Once o have enough painted up we’ll have to get together for a game so I can show you how lovely the sculpts are and how fun the game is in person. Of course after the virus crap - and yes, they finally sent us home. Free vacation yay!

      Delete
    2. I wanna see how the game plays too! Me me me! 😀
      After the virus quarantine though. Especially since I’m still working

      Delete
    3. Yeah, after this virus nonsense. This’ll of course just mean I’ll have to paint up two more warband a so there’ll be enough for the three of us!

      Delete
    4. Sounds swell!

      Like Stew I am still working, although from home, which "saves" a bunch of transit time, but on the flip side the kids are also out of school...

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work on your creatures Dai, they all look great and look forward to seeing your group shot. Fantastic work on the statue, and the addition of the bird poo was genius.
    Stay safe mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, been really enjoying getting some paint on these.

      Delete
  7. I really love those animal figures and you do a great job painting them up. I really want to see how the game plays before I invest myself (hint hint). 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finish on the fox and the statue, love the additional airborne decoration!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! Had fun with that statue

      Delete