Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

07 July 2026

3rd Awr-Range Wardens (Quar Fidwogs - Part 5)

 Just a quick WIP post to show I've not been entirely idle on the hobby-front. Almost all the remainder of my Quar Fidwog are now assembled, primed and paint begun applied.

I added the ground/mud brown colour to all of their bases and gold to all helmets. Then went on to work solely on the remainder of the second squad of infantry (3x Rhyflers, Yawdryl and han-Yawdryl.) and an Anti-Tank trooper (Bloke with the explosive spears) to make the batch painting feel more manageable. 


Painting time got interrupted by responsibilities though so only the burgundy layers of the uniform*, dark grey for the rocks and dark mustard for the yellow base applied at this date. 


Here's the Draxian Painting Chart updated to reflect what's been done:



* - I don't normally prime minis black, but decided to go with it this time to help make painting quicker. Burgundy is a dark brown base, dark burgundy then a lighter burgundy. These will all get a brown wash which will provide my desired result of a nice rich finish, see my other Quar posts for how that looks.

Not sure when I'll get more painting opportunities coming up, but I hope in return you all are finding loads of time to get your projects moving!

Stay safe and well out there,

- Dai

15 comments:

  1. Great progress Dai, which is the most important part, hopefully you find a bit of hobby time soon, so you can get a bit more progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. Would be nice to get all these done to call this project (At this point at least) "Fully Painted". :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray! Fingers crossed there'll be more to come.

      Delete
  3. Love the gold and burgundy colour combo, Dai. These are really going to pop on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should. There's a plan in the longterm for a larger game-worthy contingent to end up with using Xenos Rampant, so we'll see. Cheers Simon!

      Delete
  4. I do love these wonderful creatures. Great start Dai. Just on a practical note what gold do you use? It seems to cover so well. Mine is a bit streaky, but that probably has something to do with how little I use it and not shaking the bottle properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael - I think you should look into collecting some for your own gaming ;)

      The "Gold" is actually Vallejo Model Color "Brass" #70.801. It goes on well enough over this black primer, but did need a second coat here and there for an even finish.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that would be the same colour I use. As I feared, not shaking the bottle enough.

      Delete
  5. Good progress, not getting much painting done my end, Im still eeking out a 1980s citadel gold paint, think Im going to finish it soon, luckily, I bought two!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! Those old metallics were so good. Mine were used or dried up yonks ago.
      Thanks Iain!

      Delete
  6. A good start Dai, hope you get some time to finish them off in the not too distant future - the gold IS a nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith! It's my go-to, just seems a better choice for gold, than the actual Vallejo "gold" option.

      Delete