Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

13 November 2023

It's All Greek to Me! (Part 2 - FT-17 tank done! Almost.)

 A three-day weekend just past to commemorate Veteran's Day here in the US and Armistice Day in the UK. I like to raise a glass to the men in my family who served and fought for their countries:

  • My Grandfather David, who joined the RAF during WW2, serving in North Africa and the Mediterranean. Then after the war as a Chaplain in her majesty's Royal Navy.
  • My other Grandfather Wilson, who joined the US Army Air Corps prior to the US entering WW2 and then went on to serve in the Pacific.
  • My God Father John, who also served in the British military during WW2 (Branch unknown) and who served as Principle Chaplain of her Majesty's Royal Navy after the war.
  • And my Dad, who, in an effort to avoid the draft and being thrown into the awful meatgrinder that was the Vietnam conflict, enlisted in the US Navy instead. (And detested every minute of it.)

If not for the bravery of these men and others like them, our lives in here in the States and UK would not be what they are now. Sadly, not a one of the listed men here are still alive, but their memory remains and the stories I've been told over the years will hopefully be passed down to my own children so they and their sacrifices won't be forgotten.

Image stolen from some site or another.

On to the actual topic of this post. My wife was called away to spend time (Shopping or nail appointment - whatever women do with their free time!) with her sister who's birthday falls on November 11th so I had a few hours to myself. This provided me with a few hours for hobby which meant I managed to give all of the pieces an undercoat in Rustoleum Flat Grey primer and almost finish the FT-17 tank for my WW2 Greek force. ("Almost" because I plan to add a little mud effects at a later date, once all of the vehicles for this army are completed.)

I'm still having a little trouble actually finding any evidence online that the Royal Hellenic army even using this model of tank during WW2, but the official Warlord army lists have them as an option so I went with it, if only because it is a cool looking model and it's in-game rules make it the cheapest Medium Machinegun option out there.

There is very little in the way of pictures or references for vehicle markings for WW2 Greek armour. They had so few vehicles in general prior to the Italian invasion (Mainly Bren Carriers and a smattering of Vickers Mk vi tanks.) and captured a number of Italian tankettes during the conflict, but it's tricky to find many clear images online. So I went for a simple Hellenic Royal cross on the hulls, horribly hand painted, and I can add other markings later on as I find evidence.

For hull colour I queried the appropriate colour from a professor of Balkan history. He too said there wasn't much out there but that they'd likely be in the same colour they were provided in, or just plain dark green. (In this case, Vallejo's "Brown Violet".)

In-game, this little lumbering thing is pretty lightly armoured, incredibly slow and suffers from a rule whereby an order test has to be taken if one wishes to both move AND shoot in a turn! Sounds awful, but also fun!

With this done, my path to "Fully Painted" on this project is begun! (Though there is a LOT left to get on with. First steps first though...) I've been fortunate enough to be told I am to have another free Saturday this weekend (Hoorah!) whilst my wife is off at a craft faire with her grandmother so I hope to have the two Bren Carriers done and perhaps something else if time allows.

For any who is keeping track, here's the Draxian Painting chart now updated to show all parts of this army now primed, the FT-17 painted and "Painting in Progress" for the Bren Carriers.

No red boxes - this is a good thing! :) (I should probably include the key to this chart in the next stallment.)

Hope all are well out there and I should have another post up next Monday!

19 comments:

  1. What do women do while they are away?

    That is a nifty, little tank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably better I stop asking. I'm sure it's something to do with planning my untimely demise for the insurance payout! LOL

      THanks Jon!

      Delete
  2. Whatever it is that they do, Jon, the more of it they do, the better!
    I think I remember you commenting that you really like the FT17 when I was doing 20mm ones for my SCW collection, Dai. They do look very cool, but as you mention are (and should be) pretty ineffective.
    Relying on "official" Warlord Army Lists seems pretty risky to me - more like an excuse to field a vehicle you want your Greeks to have, even though secretly, you doubt they actually did have! I would do the same in your position - but I wouldn't trust Warlord further than I could chuck them - they just want to sell people stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Keith -means more time and opportunities for me to work on hobby projects!

      Yes - seeing your own FT-17's was a motivator for sure!

      And you might be right, though, at least Warlord aren't anywhere near as bad as Games Workshop!

      Delete
    2. Their senior management all came from GW, didn't they? Hence the similar approach to world domination, which hopefully they never come close to achieving

      Delete
  3. I find it best not to question what ladies get up to while away ( path of least resistance and all that ! LOL) just ask if they had a good time ! LOL
    What a funky looking vehicle and great painting on it Dai, once the mud effect goes on it should look well used, it will be interesting to see if you can find any historical record, or if it is Warlord trying to balance forces (or just sell more tanks ! LOL)
    Sounds like your family, did a lot, and great that you will be passing on the stories to your children, I've done the same with my children, which they found very useful, when doing about WWII in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Just smile and be happy that she is doing things she enjoys, regardless of what that might be. LOL

      You're most likely correct on the army list thing. Warlord seems to be inaccurate or plainly includes vehicles just for shits and giggles at times.

      Delete
  4. That tank (or tankette) is absolutely superb, Dai. I love the small armoured vehicles of WW2 and your Greek one looks excellent. I must confess to not really worrying about decals/markings on my tanks as I simply want to be able to recognise a vehicle's nationality using the six-foot rule - hence all my 10mm British tanks carrying at least one Union Jack - which I'm repeatedly told they didn't use.

    I must confess to being totally inspired by your painting chart. It looks really effective and is something I might borrow for my blog - especially for my Horus Heresy, ACW and Napoleonic projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - I must confess that the chart is not my own creation, but that of former blogger Admiral Drax (Who's blog is now sadly defunct as he's far too busy creating content for Wargames Soldiers & Strategy magazine). Such a simple concept to keep a project organized, but that also helps with motivation as seeing those boxes turn green is a great feeling!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work and for the record the flag is very well painted. Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM! We are our own worst critic. :)

      Delete
  6. Always great to have a free afternoon, particularly when it is so well used!

    As for markings, you might look at post war examples... or just think of a simple number/greek letter scheme for company/platoon/squads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After they defeated the Italians when they tried to invade, the Germans then invaded (Cos Hitler was sick of Mussolini's failed antics) and I believe they destroyed all the few armour pieces that the Greeks had. Post WW2 Greece went straight into a civil war so not sure what the heck occurred.

      More research needed I guess. :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely work but much important is a huge respect for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking light tank, the FT17 was all over eastern Europe and the balkans, very big in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia so I think you're probably alright, nice cross too, actually down to have a first game of bolt action with my Soviets tonight, it's only taken four years!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, you're right. I had forgotten about Yugoslavia having those.
      Looking forward to reading your write up on the game Iain! About time your Soviets got their first game in!

      Cheers mate!

      Delete
  9. First of all, respect and remembrance to your family. About the tank, I know little or nothing about Greece in WWII, but I thought they really didn't have armoured units of this kind (or at least until the very end). Nevertheless, I have to say that I love your work, it looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words mate. Greece pretty much had nothing in the way of armour prior to the Italian invasion; just some very light British Vickers Mkvi and Bren Carriers and some other few examples from the inter-war period. They also captured around 35-50 Italian tankettes and a handful of Italian m13/40's when they defeated the Italians. These were all outclassed and destroyed though when the Germans came through Greece once Hitler realised Mussolini botched his invasion.

      Next post on this project about to post up!

      Delete