Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

08 May 2023

Mr Ed’s dead

 Another quick terrain post, this time a resin scatter piece I found on Amazon last year to add a little interest on my Winter set up.

Looks like a white chocolate treat. (I promise I didn’t try a taste…)

As you can see it’s a dead horse and upturned cart. I feel the cart is a little large compared to the horse but otherwise it’s a decent sculpt overall. 

Primed dark brown, then base colours and simple washes. I chose black for the horse so it would stand out more 

Snow effects didn’t work exactly to plan - after a spray with my usual dulcoat varnish it turned the snow piles into ice or frost, but that can work on a Winter table I guess, or maybe I’ll go back to it at a later date and add some more snow. (I’ll think on it)

Done, or is it? Maybe I’ll go back to it at a later date…

Showing cart’s contents - more dirt apparently

Next up - hopefully those new fences seeing as I’m on a small “terrain roll” of late.

Hope all are well out there,

 - Dai

24 comments:

  1. I think I agree with you Dai, the horse looks rather small, when you compare it with the wheel of the cart. Good enough for background scatter terrain though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing though Keith the horse seems sized decently with a regular infantry mini, its the cart itself that is enormous.
      But I think you're right, this little piece should fit fine when I plonk it down for a game.

      Delete
  2. Great terrain, but I also agree with horse, a little to small is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal! Seems that is the concensus.

      Delete
  3. Excellent job Dai, The snow turning to ice actually works really well on the piece, as Bob Ross would say a happy accident ! LOL agree about the size of the cart being too big, but as background scenery shouldn't notice too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I look at it, the more I am inclined to agree on the "Happy Accident". Thanks mate.

      Delete
  4. Obviously a pony sent to do a horse's work. ;-) The effects are good, as a terrain piece, it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I was originally attempting to find some sort of quip for the title involving Bill, the pony from Lord of the Rings, but I failed. Thank you sir.

      Delete
  5. Some thick timbers on that cart, but it will look great in the background, and reinforces the "war is icy cold hell" aspect of the Eastern Front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the goal, so I appreciate you confirming it does. Thanks David!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, following on from the comments above, someone has already eaten the other horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I wonder if the sculptor thought of that upon creation?

      Delete
  7. Oohh, poor Mr. Ed! (you made me chuckle with that!) Size issues apart, I think the piece works great for any board, I really like what you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks loads mate. Hoping to have the opportunity to show it off on a game table soonish!

      Delete
  8. With the size of the cart, no surprise the horse dropped dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave his last clip and clop for the cause....

      Delete
  9. The slight size difference won’t matter on the table. It’s gonna look fantastic as some atmospheric terrain. Great job. đŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! I need to get a layout done up to test that out.

      Delete
  10. Poor Mr Ed, lovely looking bit of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, may his memory remind us all of "WIIIILLLLL -BURRR" LOL!
      Cheers Iain!

      Delete
  11. Great bit of scatter terrain for the Eastern Front, Dai, and it shows the toll caused by the freezing conditions. The cart is a tad big but it works, and the varnish frosting suits it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mat! The more I look at it after reading all you guys' reviews the more I am liking it.

      Delete