Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

20 September 2021

Horace, Knud and the Jacob Sheep

A few random mini's cleared off the Mountain this weekend, painted to a table top standard. 

The first is an old early 80's Dungeons and Dragons Cleric by TSR. A lovely little sculpt, though somewhat smaller than current larger sculpts, being 25mm rather than 28/32mm. Regardless, he/she will be added to the rpg collection for the next game I run. (Whenever that will be.) I call him Horace - that seems to be a good name for a do-gooder cleric type.

No eyes painted on this one, that cowl hangs down too much to make it worth my while in attempting. Also, the sculpted detail about the neck of the tabard I think is supposed to be a necklace(?), but the detail is so soft I elected to just keep it the same colour as the tabard. 

Wasn't going to struggle to clip the integral base off so it looks like this cleric is on a step of sorts. Which works for me and will help it match better with the other fantasy figs in my collection height wise.

Next up is a little Kobold mini by Ral Partha from the mid 90's. I owned this mini for almost 30 years before I put paint to him - Shame on me. Kobolds seem to have gone through a transformation in design from their early iteration in Dungeons and Dragons, turning from little large-headed underground "men" to now, flat-out tiny dragon people. This fellow seems to be in the middle of that transformation, part little man, part scaly thing with a tail. I named him Knud, though gawds know why, in game Kobolds tend to die if a player even breathes on them so naming one could seem pointless!

If he has an eyepatch, it must mean he's "Dead 'ard" and survived a battle or two right!? 

More likely he just cut himself shaving!
I have another 2 or 3 of this style kobold sculpts in the paint queue.

Last up for this post is a nice small flock of Jacob Sheep. These fleecy fellows are by an unknown producer (Feel free to shout out if you recognise them in the comments as I'd love to give credit where it's due.) and are a bit soft in detail, but for "sheep" they'll do nicely. I chose this breed of sheep primarily for my Dark Ages project, but they'll do just fine for fantasy and other historical periods. Kept the paint jobs very simple on these as essentially the base is just a scenic element or at best an objective. The pics are a bit naff, but they'll do and I'm happy to see this little flock off the Mountain.




Hoping to get another couple figs painted and posted in the next week or so so watch this space!

Stay safe out there all. It's a nasty time of life.

- Dai

18 comments:

  1. Great work on all Dai, the Kobold has a lot of character, as does the Cleric with the painting you've done, can see the base of sheep being very useful in many places, and love how you've put them all on one base representing a flock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these minis, the cleric in particular is really good and the red works so well. I have to admit to not liking kobolds all that much after going nuts trying to paint some Reaper ones a couple of years back, but I like the way you've done the greyish skin. Being Welsh, the sheep are gorgeous LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! How on earth did the Welsh get that awful reputation???

      Cheers mate.

      Delete
  3. An eclectic batch, Dai. Excellent work on all but I especially like the work done on the cleric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon! Hope to get some more of these old minis up soon.

      Delete
  4. A nice assortment of figures, but that Kobold is a real standout to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fun sculpt and painted up quickly. Cheers mate.

      Delete
  5. Nice painting all around! But you cannot name a kobold; they’re like the first think you take on when starting a DND or fantasy adventure as level 1 characters. Might as well paint him with a red shirt. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yep, I agree, but he looked like a "Veteran", so I felt deserved a name, at least until he gets killed ingame. LOL

      Thanks Stew!

      Delete
  6. Fab work on them both. Love that Cleric it is a really lovely mini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I’m very fond of the sculpt too

      Delete
  7. Nice cleric,love the kobold, oozes character even if he's unlikely to hang around that long! Sheep are excellent and really useful!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horace. Didn't ELO do a song about him ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also went skiing on the zx Spectrum in the early 80’s.

      Delete