Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

12 July 2021

D-Day and Beyond (Completed!)

 My previous post showed work in progress of a Sherman tank I had put together for my WW2 Canadians so I could use them for later war (1944-1945) games as well as their originally slotted Dieppe Landing setting (1942). Here's the finished effort, though I will ask for your forgiveness right off for the quality of pics - I took them at my in-law's house and the only decent light was "sunlight", though that was either 110 degrees blazing and causing shadows, obscuring details outright, or under a sun-brella. So you get sun-brella. 

Back to the main topic. 

I did a little research after I wanted a tank that was present at D-Day and who managed to live a little longer than your average Ronson. What I came up with was this little beaut' called "Holy Roller", a tank that survived through D-Day (There is another, but I thought this one was a cooler name) and made it all the way through to the end of the war! It's now on display in Victoria Park in London Ontario, Canada, which I think is very cool. Of course, the model kit I have is the wrong Mark of Sherman, but it'll do. I also couldn't possibly get the bloody name and serial number free-handed on correctly, which irked mightily, but felt it was better to leave it off altogether than have some ham-fisted effort ruining an otherwise decent looking Armoured Fighting Vehicle.

Hope you like, here's the pics!

The actual tank in London, Ontario. Looks pretty darn good for a 77/78 year old lady.

As you can see, both "Holy Roller" and the serial number are flippin tiny! No way I'd be able to paint those on, sadly.

And here's my version of the venerable tank. The weathering looks way more pronounced in person, mud effects sponged on and weathering pigments gents dusted over prior to a final flat varnish.

One important marking I "was" able to get in was the Squadron marking on the turret - a handy decal and free-handed number "9" inside.

Everyone loves a booty pic

This thing now sits frustratedly in a tub. Who knows when it'll see the light of a gaming table? LOL

I was not at all happy with how I had the driver originally positioned, he was sat too high up. So I hacked away at his lower chest and now he sits far more believably and I'm good with it.

Decals shown are all from the tank kit by Warlord Games. The bridge weight and red unit badges were excellent. The 2nd Canadian Armoured badge though was a bit rubbish - the blue stripe that's supposed to intersect the top and bottom black behind the yellow maple leaf barely shows. I'm in two minds if I'm willing to try to paint the blue in so it stands out more?


And that's it for now. I've already moved on to a new project, completely different from this one, going back to a Warhammer 40K feel, though this time, scenic! 

Stay safe out there you lot and O, Forza Italia!

22 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the tank Dai, love the bit of history behind it, as it actually survived the war, hopefully yours will survive the wargame and carry the luck through. The transfers look good in the pictures, but then I'm no expert on the details, so only know because of your highlighting mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm hoping the thing will survive it's first game too. THough it's freshly painted, so... doubtful! :)

      Delete
  2. It looks absolutely fantastic, Dai. Well done. Enough of the weathering shows in the sun-brella photos to appear quite convincing, and the stowage and decals amp up the final result. Bravo.
    I used to live in London, Ontario, and know the Holy Roller quite well. The local Reserve regiment, the 1st Hussars, still exists and are currently raising funds to restore the Roller. They are still an armoured regiment, but due to our pitifully funded Army Reserve, they drive Mercedes G-Wagons with HMGs and call themselves armoured recon.
    Cheers, Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike! Really cool that you are personally familiar with this tank! I hope they can get her back to a semblance of her former glory.

      G-Wagons?! O_o THose things are like $200k US! But as actual military transports? No. If the Housewives of Beverly Hills drive those things, they are not at all suited for that!

      Delete
  3. Nice work, Dai! As both Mike and Dave, I enjoyed your history lesson on this vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jon! Glad you found it interesting!

      Delete
  4. Good looking vehicle there. Battlefront made/makes tank name decals - I got quite a few from a Sherman or Lee box set I bought years ago. They'd do fine for 15 or 20mm. Not sure if there are any "Holy Rollers" in there but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! Yeah I used to have a stack of old Battlefront transfers, but sadly I think they'd be far too small for this job.

      Delete
  5. Mate! Despite the dark photos that looks absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Dai! We will be getting back to the gaming tables soon enough, so your tank will be rumbling onto the table. Getting my first boardgame event in with friends at the end of July as 2nd dose will have kicked in by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! Yeah, eventually there'll be some tabletop fun again. Eventually.

      Delete
  7. Splendid finish on the Sherman, it looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DO enjoy a booty pic under a sun umbrella. “Yeah baby, that’s some nice stowage. Ummmmm. “
    Nice job on the tank. The additional work makes it go from acceptable (my standard) to good. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Stew, you are crazy.

      Appreciate the kind words mate.

      Delete
  9. Fab work lets hope it outlasts your oppponents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering my regular opponent likes to bring Tiger tanks, unlikely! LOL

      Thanks Simon!

      Delete