Some things:

My photo
I paint small metal and plastic figures and rarely get to play with them. But that is fine with me.

06 May 2020

Dieppe Landing Churchill Mk1

As promised in my last post, here's the Churchill Mk1 from my Dieppe Landing force.


The kit is made by Madbob Miniatures in the UK and was very nicely detailed. The cast only had one airbubble to repair and it was a small one on the hull gun's barrel. Nothing that a bit of creative superglue application didn't correct though!


This was the first version of the Churchill tank that was used in the war and Dieppe was their first outing. The Mark 1 sadly though had an underpowered engine for being so large a beast and the hull mounted 3" cannon (Thought to be useful for bunker-busting) ended up being too difficult to aim properly along with it's additional ammunition taking up too much room inside. Along with that, the turret mounted 2-pounder anti-tank gun was not powerful enough to pierce most german tanks (As evidenced in the North Africa campaigns.) so the Commonwealth quickly upgunned their Churchills to carry a typical 75mm/6-pounder instead in later Marks.


During the Dieppe Landing very few of the tanks made it off the Landing Crafts and off the beach. The main reason being that the beach was not sand as the crews had been trained on in the UK, but large shale which caused all sorts of problems like tracks being thrown, etc. Still, the tanks were large enough and had heavy enough armour that many were able to protect the eventual withdrawal (Of the few remaining troops who weren't killed/captured) like bunkers as the German guns were mostly ineffectual against them.


Originally I had some trouble finding online accurate markings for this mark of tank that was at Dieppe. Lots of pictures of the Mark 3 versions with 6 pounder guns, but not this one. My first success was of an incorrect tank that had actually served in Italy and not Dieppe (The Canadians used the Mark 1 all through the Italian campaign) and was informed as much on the Bolt Action Facebook group. That in turn lead me to find other scale model kits of this tank to see if they could shed any light and in turn came across one that did. Lucky me.


But enough prattling! No-one came here to read my nonsense. On with the pics!








(And I've since found a resource to add some correct markings to the Universal Carrier from my last post - an update might be incoming!)



16 comments:

  1. Great work, indeed! And, I come here to read your prattle too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then thank you Jon, appreciate that you take the time.

      Delete
  2. Superb job! What a great kit too, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael! It really was a well put together model

      Delete
  3. Great work on the tank Dai, love those moments when you find what your looking for, as it can be so frustrating on endless searches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O tell me about it.

      Glad you like it Dave

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking Churchill! Funnily enough I once had a job which involved working on a shale/gravel beach and we had been sent some tracked all terrain vehicles which we had been assured would cope with the beach, they didn't and we had to do everything with muscle and wheel barrows!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Not fun to even walk in that stuff.

      Cheers Iain

      Delete
  5. It’d be a great looking tank if it wasn’t a Churchill. They’re just strange and weird looking things that look more like something out of someone’s fever dream.
    It’s like the pink elephant scene in Dumbo.

    Course that’s just my opinion. Lol. I’m just having a go. In all seriousness the thing looks great.

    For a Churchill. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks Stew. I think it’s outlandish appearance compared to the other tanks of its time is the appeal for me

      Delete
  6. Definitely here to read your nonsense.

    Lovely model.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also pro-prattling!
    I am also pro-rust effects, and you did some fine work in that regard on that Mk1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks loads mate. Appreciate you stopping by

      Delete
  8. I like "the nonsense" portion, it gives context to what might otherwise just be a very odd Churchill.

    ReplyDelete