Well, there's been gentle nothing going on my end of late. Between my wife's birthday, a visit from my olds from the UK and a general lack of enthusiasm either side of that, my hobby room actually looks clean and tidy right now, not a hobbyist's workshop like usual.
Saying that, for her birthday, I did decide to gift her something I.... um... not made per se, more.... worked on. Better than just buying something off a shelf or website, right? So when Hasslefree Miniatures released the resin master for their Kirsten miniature, I had to get it as it's a very close lookalike to her. The mini when it arrived, was a beautiful crisp one-piece sculpt and had next to no mold lines. Painting so far has been really fun, though I'm not finished yet. The skin is a little dark still and I'd like to work lots more on the Hello Kitty design on her shirt.
Here's a few WIP pictures of the figure - let me know what you think:
Over on the Dead Lead Project and Chris' Miniature Woes blogs, Deserter and Myincubliss have both started off a 6 month pledge to help get their bare model count down (Greatly) and not purchase new stuff in the meantime. I too suffer from the affliction of shiny-new-things, whilst my own pile sits largely unloved, so I've decided it would be a great idea to follow suit, just for myself. Below are the rules per the aforementioned blogs, plus an extra one I added.
Beginning 1st September 2014...
1. No purchasing of new miniatures, EXCEPT if you use a joker card. Like in a deck of cards, you get two jokers to use on a figure purchase during the six months of the challenge. Could be a blister pack, an ebay bundle, or a single figure...you can't splurge.
2. Gifts do not count against you. Christmas and or birthdays etc. Also, if you're given gift cards by your hobby illiterate family or friends, you can without penalty use them on anything you want miniatures wise.
3. Paints, terrain (or materials), and other hobby supplies do not apply to the no purchasing rule.
4. At least one hobby related blog post and/or Instagram update a week. If you Instagram, be sure to hashtag your pic with #6MMRPC. *I don't even know how to hashtag, so no Instagram shenanigans for me*
5. Zombtober will be part of the 6 month challenge so, Zombie related stuff during October is ENCOURAGED!
6. Along with the above 5 regular rules, I WILL allow me to purchase the remaining outstanding models to complete my Flames of War German "Arnhem" force, limited only to:
a. Latest Plastic Panzergrenadiers + halftracks boxed set
b. SS-Heavy Machinegun Platoon
c. 1 x Panzer ivH tank
I think I can do this and the regular posting of at least one post a week will make this blog a little more lively and interesting again. There's plenty to get working on and I think I'll also make a list of all the projects I need to tackle and also that I've completed as I go along. (Something tells me a Draxian Painting Chart [tm] may well be in order.)
O and one last thing - check out this new board game on Kickstarter. Bruce Lee minis game! And the mini's look SOOOO good! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682539325/dragon-tides
(Yeah... I went and pledged.... well - it's not September 1st yet, right? :P)